10.12.2008

a night without armor



mmm. i always know i've read a good book when i hold it in my hands and realize that it seems so much thicker afterward because i've earmarked every other page...
::thank you, ammi, for all of your impeccable recommendations::

the quotes are selected beauties from jewel's a night without armor, the inserts are mine:

"And all night we dreamt
of all the impossible things
we would do when we grew up."

{i'm still hoping and waiting and praying...this just cannot be it--i am too young to be grown up--i never ever want to grow up--but i want to be impossible--and change the world}

"I thought to myself, he must be
a particular kind of being
a breed of person that is made simply
and perfectly to love."

{and what greater purpose is there, than to love and be loved; indeed, it is the g r e a t e s t thing you'll ever learn}

"Gold Fish
In my belly is a gold fish.
I swallowed it and kept it there.
I sing to it, and can feel it wiggle
when it especially likes the tune--
Brahms makes it do backflips of glee."

{haha how i adore this poem...and how ingenious, i must admire}

"...we are both artists
who suck the marrow out
of each lovely bone


It just happens to be
my lovely bones
this time


How Bare"

{beauty intermingles with honesty and lovers' pain...but i suppose such is the way of loving another--always beautiful (because love and beauty are nearly one) yet so often sorrowful/painful/bleeding, and cannot work (or at least survive) without the truth}

"So Just Kiss Me
So just kiss me and let my hair
messy itself in your fingers

tell me nothing needs to be done--
no clocks need winding

There is no bell without a voice
needing to borrow my own

instead, let me steady myself
in the arms

of a man who won't ask me to be
what he needs, but lets me exist

as I am

a blonde flame
a hurricane

wrapped up
in a tiny body
that will come to his arms
like the safest harbor
for mending"

{when you are in love, you just know}

No comments: